“You will be responsible for the day to day running of a small fleet of yachts, ensuring all standards are maintained to the highest level. Your main day to day tasks will include: guest briefings, passage planning, obtaining weather forecasts, housekeeping duties, guest relations, safety checks, sailing and mooring support, risk assesments, emergency support, maintenance and evening social activities.”
BeyondBeach are looking for an individual who has a passion for sailing and the ability to live and work in a small team. You will be self-motivated and able to work without supervision. You will be required to be creative, supportive, hardworking and confident in your own work methods. Working under the Yacht Manager in this hands-on role, you will be responsible for the day to day running of a fleet of yachts, ensuring all standards are maintained to the highest level. Your main day to day tasks will include: guest briefings, passage planning, obtaining weather forecasts, housekeeping duties, guest relations, safety checks, sailing and mooring support, preventative maintenance, reactionary maintenance and also evening social activities.You’ll be able to confidently interact well, and easily build rapport with a range of people: local suppliers, taverna owners, guests, managers and other team members. Each flotilla can host up to 50 guests on up to 6 boats. It is a small, friendly, manageable fleet with a number of returning guests year after year. A great first flotilla for a new skipper, or a great project to sink your teeth into if you are an experienced skipper looking for something to call your own.
With the support and guidance of your Manager you will take full ownership for ensuring all sailing activities are delivered in accordance with company guidelines. During your first week of work you will have the opportunity to work closely with more experienced staff until you are confident working on your own. Excellent customer service skills and a friendly approachable style are essential in ensuring we provide a safe and enjoyable experience for all our guests. You’ll always be ready to deal with any problems that arise, albeit at sea or on the quay.
In addition to the Yacht Manager, you will also be supported by the Area Manager who overseas all of our products in Greece. You and the Flotilla Engineer are the only 2 crew living and working onboard the lead boat. All other in-resort staff and management support are shorebased and ready to assist as and when required.
You will support, train and take responsibility for the Flotilla Engineers enjoyment and welfare during their time with BeyondBeach. They will be a confident sailor with excellent customer service skills and a passion to learn. They will hold their RYA Coastal Skipper, as a minimum. A key part of your role will be to support and develop your engineers sailing skills and boat handling confidence, in all weathers. You will have a weekly task list for you and the Engineer to fulfil. You will gradually train the Engineer to fulfil your Skipper duties,so that in the event of your absence they could take charge for a short time. For example if you were taken ill mid-flotilla. You will continually pay attention to the Engineers general welfare and job satisfaction. Ensuring that all issues that may be raised by them are met with a kind and fair response. All issues, praise and feedback regarding the Engineer should also be passed on to the Yacht Manager.
Flotilla working hours vary from day to day, based on weather forecasts, guest needs, boat issues and journey plans. A typical day will include the Engineer and Skipper holding a planning chat at 09:00, followed by a Guest Briefing at 10:00. Finish times will vary. Typically on days with no evening activities you may finish around 19:30. You do not finish work until the last guest boat has moored for the evening and you have taken time to talk to all guests regarding their day of sailing. Approximately 3 evenings a week you will be expected to socialise with guests for a meal or drinks. Full work days are carried out 6 days a week. The 7th day of the week is a shorter day of work but still requires some work to be done. This is typically a mid-week day whereby the Skipper and Engineer take it in turns to either brief and launch all boats, or to moor each boat at the end of the day, enjoying the bulk of the day to yourself, albeit on board moving with the fleet. Working hours are flexible to the needs of the company. It is really important that all our staff recognise the need to be flexible in their approach to work. The very nature of our jobs means that no two days are the same. Your daily plans will need to be flexible to the needs of your guests and the weather conditions. At times, you may be required to take on extra duties. The role of Flotilla Skipper is a very enjoyable and rewarding role, but it does carry a large level of responsibility with it. You are looking after the safety and wellbeing of guests, staff and boats, away from the immediate support of a manager. This role is therefore only suitable for a mature, level headed and conscientious individual who is confident sailing in a range of conditions and has some experience of a similar role in the past. You must be committed to delivering the product to the highest standard.
The changeover day when guests leave and new guests arrive, is not a day off for the Flotilla Skipper or Flotilla Engineer. This is one of the busiest days of the week and it is the role of the FLotilla Skipper to manager every aspect of this day to the highest standard. This includes ensuring all boats are clean, maintained and ready for all guests ahead of arrival times. This is a challenging and rewarding day. Attention to detail and an ability to work under pressure to achieve great results is essential.
We pride ourselves on offering our staff a different experience. We do all we can to ensure that your time with us is rewarding and enjoyable. We aim for all of our staff to finish their time with us having gained new qualifications and/or experiences to help further their career. We value all of our hard working staff and love seeing teams building new friendships and enjoying their work year after year. If you want to learn new skills, make lifelong friends, experience a different way of life and immerse yourself in a small Greek community, this is the job for you.
If you are an experienced flotilla skipper, that’s great we’d love to hear from you and help you to make this small flotilla your own. If you are newly qualified, with experience of working on a flotilla in a different role we’d love to hear from you too. We will provide any additional training required to run the flotilla.
Does this sound like you?
Further Job Details
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- Work closely with the Yacht Manager to plan routes and establish daily routines.
- Be responsible for daily weather checks and daily passage planning, including back up plans and last minute changes, if required.
- Communicate regularly with the Yacht Manager and ensure you are keeping them informed of all your plans.
- Daily and weekly maintenance checks.
- Understand the Operating Procedures and ensure they are adhered to at all times.
- Update the Operating Procedures when needed.
- Understand Emergency Action plans and know how to contact key support resources i.e. Port Police, Fire, Ambulance, Management.
- Be the primary decision maker in any emergency scenario.
- Along with the Mate, you will give daily briefings regarding the route and daily itinerary.
- Assist clients with departing and berthing in ports and lunch time anchorages (if required). To ensure optimum welfare for guests and boats.
- Deal with guest enquiries and complaints promptly and conscientiously.
- Provide informal tuition to guests who lack experience and confidence. Often as part of a 2 day “brush up” course at the start of their holiday.
- Organise, oversee and assist with changeover days: yacht cleaning, laundry, welcome packs, maintenance tasks and preparation for arrival of clients.
- Ensure client transfers to/from airports/bases run smoothly.
- Welcome guests on to their yachts and provide boat and safety briefings upon arrival.
- Help with any ongoing maintenance of all flotilla yachts whilst away from base, including: marine systems, engines, electrics, plumbing, sails and rigging.
- Working closely with local suppliers for the provision of services.
- Responsible for day to day petty cash accounting.
- Be available 24/7 for emergency support and assistance for guests and boats.
- Deal with first aid needs.
- Skipper the lead boat.
- Skipper guests boats if circumstances require it.
- Mentor the Engineer.
- Ensure you are aware of passage plans and guest locations.
- Upsell local revenue sources, as and when applicable.
- Monitor and record petty cash expenses.
- Lead boat housekeeping duties (shared with the Engineer).
- Create guest social plans each week.
- Socialising with guests, particularly in the evenings.
- Yacht Sailing Diploma
- RYA Yacht Master
- RYA ICC
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- VHF Licence
- Valid First Aid certificate
- Engine and rigging maintenance experience
- Confident problem solver, capable of applying logic and initiative to decision making
- Able to work under pressure and communicate effectively in challenging situations
- Confident, with training and supporting other team members
- Experience living on yachts
- Experience of living with non-family members and maintaining amicable relationships
- Excellent customer service experience
- Highly confident and skilled in safety and on water rescue techniques
- Competent Swimmer
- Clean DBS check
- Over 21 years of age
- Clean and tidy appearance
- No smoker
- Driving Licence
The team is everything.
Whilst enjoying your work and the lifestyle that comes from living in Greece, you must always be respectful of those around you. This includes your team mates, our guests, our hotel staff, our competitors, your local neighbours and the local community as a whole. We are very fortunate to live and work in such a beautiful part of the world. We are very lucky to be welcomed into the local community. As such we only employ staff that we feel are mature enough to embrace the lifestyle without causing upset or offence to our local friends and neighbours. If you are a mature, hard working, enthusiastic and fun skipper, with a passion for high standards then we’d love to hear from you.
What We Offer
- Competitive Salary: Feel free to email us to discuss salaries in line with your experience.
- Flights: To and From Greece.
- Accommodation: Onboard the lead boat.
- Insurance: Whilst working you are covered under our Public Liability and Professional Indemnity policies.
- Uniform: Company tops are provided.
- Time Off: This is a 7 day week role with part time days during the week.
- Holiday Allowance: In addition to the equivalent of 1 day off each week, you will receive a set number of holiday days, depending on the length of your contract.
- Watersports Equipment: All staff have free access to all watersports equipment, in line with the Company safety policies and procedures.
- Yacht Use: All staff have free access to yachts, when booking availability allows and in line with the Company safety policies and procedures.
- Hotel Facilities: All staff have free access to our beach club facilities such as the swimming pools.
- Staff Discount: All staff receive a discount on food and drink at our Beach Clubs.
- Friends and Family Discount. F&F discounts are available on holidays, for use outside of peak season.
- Training: All staff receive a comprehensive induction on arrival to ensure you are confident and happy in your job role. All staff are eligible for £100 training bursary and are eligible to apply for funding for other courses.